IMPORTANT HINTS FOR INCREASING SALES
by Dr. Robert Sullivan
author of "The Small Business Start-Up Guide"
In these busy times, the customer's choice to purchase may be based
on how easy it is to make the purchase rather than price! Here are a
ten ideas to make your product or service easy for customers to purchase:
- Accept credit cards for payment. This is mandatory. The majority
of small purchases is by credit card. However, be careful in choosing
your credit card merchant provider. There are agents that are charging
excessive rates and fees. As always, caveat emptor.
- Provide a money-back, no-questions asked return policy.
- Distribute free catalogs. (... but include a "price" on the cover,
say $5.00.) The recipient then feels good about getting your "$5.00"
- Get an 800 number for sales and service. Ensure the number is well
attended. Do it yourself if possible! Again, as with the credit card
merchant account warning above, choose your provider with care. It
is now very easy and inexpensive to maintain an 800 number. The 800
number may simply "piggy back" on your existing business line, if
desired. Very handy.
- Provide a strong guarantee for your product or service. If possible,
offer "lifetime" guarantees. This is a very strong selling point but
statistics show very, very few customers ever take advantage of such
- Give away something free (possibly in conjunction with a purchase)
from time to time.
- If you're in the retail business, maintain store hours in evenings
and on weekends.
- Provide a delivery service (or service at the customer's location).
- Follow up sales to the extent possible. Personal calls for big ticket
sales or a returnable post card for higher volume sales can make a
lasting impression ... and a return customer!
- Have a "preferred customer" sale.
Brought to you by: World
Wide Information Outlet - <http://certificate.net/wwio/>, your
only source of FREEWare Content online.
This article is an excerpt from
"The Small Business Start-Up Guide" by Robert Sullivan, which is available
from the publisher, Information International, Box 579, Great Falls,
VA 22066, at $16.95 plus $3.50s/h. 800 375 8439. Visit "The Small Business
Advisor" at http://www.isquare.com
Above Text © 1997-98 World Wide Information Outlet. All